Thursday, September 23, 2010

Recipe - Indonesian Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

This recipe was actually discovered by my mother-in-law and she made it for a big family gathering for the Fourth of July.  Everyone loved it and Travis insisted that I try to look up or figure out the recipe.  I found the version I use on allrecipes.com but since I never have plain tomato sauce on hand, I use tomato paste in mine.  It doesn't quite have the same taste as Laura's did that night, but is still delicious.  I usually serve it with a side of fried rice.  Also, instead of cubing my chicken breast, I sliced it thin into satay-style strips.

Indonesian Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce


3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground cumin
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup water
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
skewers

1 - In a bowl, mix soy sauce, tomato sauce, peanut oil, garlic, black pepper, and cumin. Place chicken into the mixture, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, but not overnight. This will make the meat too dark.
2 - Preheat the grill for high heat.
3 - Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and saute onion and garlic until lightly browned. Mix in water, peanut butter, soy sauce, and sugar. Cook and stir until well blended. Remove from heat, mix in lemon juice, and set aside.
4 - Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill skewers about 5 minutes per side, until chicken juices run clear. Serve with the peanut sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I've been looking for it pretty much since I got home and haven't been able to find it. Definitely need to make it again :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, that looks rather delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete